Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Bells, Richard Harvel

I've just finished reading The Bells , Richard Harvel. 
This was a most interesting book, I found it hard to stop reading.  I loved Moses, and Nikolai, and even Remus.  The subject matter was one that I don't know anything about, or should I say the opera world setting is one I'm not familiar with, because after all it's a love story.  Perhaps not the romantic one I'm suppose to be reading but, a love story nonetheless less. The official classification is historical fiction.

 
I chose this book for two reasons, first it was a recommendation from one of the bloggers I read regularly, can't remember who, sorry I'm keeping better notes this year.  The second reason is this, when I was probably in grade 8 I read a story about bellringers.  It was two young boys who did this job in their town, and one of the boys drown in an accident, and the other boy rang the bells at his funeral just for him.  All these years later I still think of that story, can't remember the name of it, (so if you know it, give a shout). I knew going into this book this was not the story I had read, but it appealed to me anyway.


Support Your Local Library
Where are you Reading.

5 comments:

Nise' said...

It does sound interesting! Thanks for the recommendation.

Jenners said...

I could see why that story would stick in your head. Just reading the short summary made me want to read it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This was my favorite read of 2010 --loved it.

bermudaonion said...

I'm anxious to read this one. Didn't it win a big award this year?

Annie said...

both books sound very interesting Irene!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.