Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Lilac Bus, Ireland Challenge.


An number of years ago I was standing in a line, on a very hot day, and the lady ahead of me finished Quentin's she sighed heavily and said what a good read it was, and asked me if I'd like it. Since there were still many, many people ahead of me, I said " yes". Well that was it for me, I needed to read more, so the next was Scarlett Feather and Echoes and Evening Class, and now when I need a comfortable read I add Maeve Binchy to my list of choices.
This is my first book of my Ireland Challenge.I'm going for "Kiss the Blarney Stone Level 6 books.  I just felt after reading The Bells, I needed to relax a little with some regular folks, with ordinary family problems. What I like most about reading Maeve Binchy is quite honestly the net she weaves with the individual characters. This book is no exception. It  is simply the story of the passengers of the Lilac Bus. As one who travels on buses daily, I think this is an awesome account of those passengers. Ordinary people leading ordinary lives and yet quite extraordinary.
Not a very long read only about 200 pages. I believe this is Maeve's 2nd book, I've decided to read them all in order just to watch her style evolve. I've read quite a few, but there will be re-reads. 

2 comments:

Carrie K. said...

I really enjoyed Binchy's Copper Beach and one other - I can't remember the title. I thought Whitethorn Woods was just okay, but I agree with you - her style and characters are comforting. I'll definitely be reading more Binchy in the future. I linked your review to the challenge page.

For future reference, if you go to the main challenge page (in the drop-down menu at the top of my blog where it says "Reading Challenges I'm Hosting") and then scroll down, there is a Mr. Linky specifically for review links. That way you don't have to add each one to the sign-ups area. :)

bermudaonion said...

It's been a while since I've read any of Binchy's work, but I agree with you, they are great comfort reads!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.