Saturday, July 17, 2010

Show me 5 Saturday

The book I read was Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe, Sandra Gulland.


2 Words to describe the book: historical romance?

3. Characters in this book are: Josephine Bonaparte, Napoleon, and their friends/family and enemies. All taking place during Napoleon's "taking over the world" adventures.

4. Things I liked/disliked about the book.
I liked the style of writing of this trilogy. It is written of course from Josephine's perspective, in her "diary" sort of format. Easy to read, and difficult to put down.
I liked that even though this could be a stand alone book, the author often talks of characters or incidents that happened in the previous book, she clears it up for the reader with *references or explanations or definitions, so one is easily carried throughout the story line. Not making me say, "who was that again?"
I like how Napoleon is not referred to as the short General anywhere. I knew very little of Napoleon when I started this series, and I always picture him as John Belushi (from Saturday Night Live). Boy am I aging myself with that statement, I couldn't even find a you tube video to link in here. Gulland makes it easy to like him.
I liked the Gulland's portrayal of Josephine as a caring individual, not just the wife of a conquer'.

5 Stars or Less for my rating: I'm going to refrain from giving a rating on this one, as it is part of a trilogy, I'm anxious to finish up and then I'll let you know how the whole shbang rates, I'm thinking a 4.9999.

The Whys and Wheres, I'd read the first of this trilogy, when my friends Leslie and Carmi discussed this trilogy by Sandra Gulland. I so enjoyed reading the first book, The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. that when it came time to take a 3 4 5 Challenge, this was my choice. I got this particular copy from my local library. I am trying very hard to keep the book shelves to a minimum.

Not much reading happening for me this weekend, I MUST wash floors. Enjoy yours though. this meme is a concept of That's A Novel Idea but presently hosted by Find Your Next Book Here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds good! And you had me laughing with the Belushi reference. I always think of him as the character in Animal House :D

Jenners said...

I too loved the Belushi reference. Now I will picture Napoleon that way too!! ; )

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.