Saturday, May 22, 2010

Show me 5 Saturday, When Will There Be Good News?

Show me 5 Saturday is hosted my "That's a Novel Idea"

1.Book you read and/or reviewed this week
2 Words that describe the book
3 Settings where it took place or characters you met
4 Things you liked and/or disliked about it
5 Stars or less for your rating?


The book I read this week was When Will There Be Good News?
, Kate Atikinson.

I've not read this author before and now I'm hooked. She had me in the first chapter. I immediately identified with the mom and her groceries on a bus with a pram and kids in tow. And then the unthinkable happened... my heart broke.

It's a book about a series of seemingly unconnected occurances that span 30 years. Each character was well developed, and crystal clear, and yet mysteriously unknown. Bravo Kate Atkinson. I love that about this book. We seemingly know everything about a character and yet we need to know more.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Britain and Ireland and Scotland, but that's where this story is set. The characters are real and believable. Broken families and broken lives. I love Reggie and Dr. Hunter, I love Jackson, he's so cool.

I'm giving this book my usual 4.99999 out of 5 stars. even though I think 5 would be appropriate. It was an enjoyable quick read, the plot did not drag out, I reserve the 5 for books that I'll be locking the doors and not sleeping over. I've even gotten a couple more of Kate Atkinson's works, which I'm sure I'll enjoy as well.

The Whys and Wheres of this book, This book was loaned to me by my friend Leslie and I'm so glad she gave it to me, I don't know if I'd have chosen it on my own.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'll have to add this book to my list. I've read her before and liked it as well. Finally in a reading groove again.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Buongiorno Irene...
com'è il tempo in America oggi ?
Quì da me, oggi è veramente una giornata magnifica... ideale per passeggiate e visitare le città...
Buona giornata :-)

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.