Sunday, February 21, 2010

Take Another Chance Challenge #8, King Rat/ Pied Piper of Hamelin


This Read was part of my Take Another Chance Challenge.
Challenge 8: Real and Inspired (worth 2 entries)
Many authors or books inspire others to pay homage to them by writing another book inspired by the original work. For this challenge, read both an original work and a book inspired by that original work. Write about both books in one post. Note: This might require some research on your part and requires reading two books so it worth 2 entries.

Examples: Christopher Moore's Fool is based on Shakespeare's play King Lear so I plan on reading both King Lear and Fool. Another example is Jane Austen, who inspired the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. For this challenge, you might read both Pride and Prejudice and the zombie version. (There are tons of other Austen-inspired books out there too.) Another idea would be a graphic novel version of a "standard" novel. The only real requirement is that the "inspired by" book must clearly state what original work inspired it.

My choice for this challenge was "The Pied Piper of Hamelin, Browning. I've always been intrigued by this and so here it is.


I then read this Young Adult Version of the old tale. After Hamelin, by Bill Richardson, this was book nominated for I believe the Silver Birch Award, I hope it won. It was great.
And the big guns, King Rat, China Meilville.

My Thoughts:

HOLY SMOKE, definitely not for the faint of heart. Speaking of hearts, mine was jumping out of my chest as I finished this book last night into the wee hours. I had to watch the Olympic re-runs for a an hour or so after I finished just to calm down. I could not put it down, even though in my mind I was thinking this is impossible, I DON'T KNOW, about that now. This was incredible. I will not be learning to play the flute.


This completes my #8 Challenge for the Take Another Chance Challenge. Be sure to stop by the host blog and see what everyonelse is reading and reviewing.

1 comment:

Jenners said...

Wow ... you really went out and found some interesting books!!! I'm very intrigued by all of them .. but it sounds like King Rat isn't for the faint of heart! Great reviews!!!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.