Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Is my art valuable?

For most of my adult life I have been creating, crafting, painting and altering. With the new Indiana Jones movie coming out soon, my boys and I have watched and re-watched all the previous Indy movies. I wondered if all those art objects Indy was making his way through tombs and caves for, were once some housewife's creations. In centuries to come if I don't clean my pile of painted wood out of the attic will someone like Indy find these things and read incredible things into why I used 10/0 liner to do those hair whisps on my new altered painting. Or would they say why on earth did the people of this time wire the pages of books with beads on the ends or for what purpose were those unusual fibers woven into the spine of this obviously handmade journal. Well it could happen. I always thought I would leave the surprises in my book case as one of our co-altered artists said. "When I die, I want my kids to say our mother must of really flipped towards the end, look at all these books with ripped out pages and stamps and inks all over the text, she must have just lost it." and maybe we have. But maybe Indy will find it and think it's great. So happy creating my fellow artists (and I use that term loosely at least referring to myself).

1 comment:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I will never forget walking down a main street in Montreal when my kids attended McGill University. Gordon was very philosophical after an enforced trip to a Monet Exhibit. He declared "If you notice, artists only really become famous when they die!" I guess we'll just have to wait and see Irene!
Nice post. Good luck on your latest venture, but I'm really interested in that romance novel!!!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.