Thursday, March 29, 2018

Thoughts on the season...

 I was pretty young when I first read this poem, I think it may have endeared me to G.K.  Chesterton, unknowingly. I still am very moved by it.

 

The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
   And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
   Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
   And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
   On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
   Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
   I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
   One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
   And palms before my feet.

n/a
Source: The Collected Poems of G. K. Chesterton (Dodd Mead & Company, 1927)

3 comments:

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Some writing is timeless.

Vicki said...

I don't remember ever hearing/reading this poem before. I like it!

Jenny said...

Dear Irene! I love G.K. Chesterton. Not enough folks appreciate him. Great poem. xoxo

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.