Monday, January 28, 2013

Mailbox Monday... the graduate

As you all may have remembered my baby (23yrs. old) graduated with his B.A in English.  Both my boys read.  I'm so glad of that. And now they have both been published, YEA! all those nights reading a bedtime story paid off.  Anyway, I struggled with what to give this kid for his graduation present, I mean above and beyond the usual tuition and food and lodging and everything else he needed. And then Ms. Jenny (who makes lovely book marks, and does some awesome photography, and who I credit for helping me to be not freaked out at the cemetery) did a post with a poem by Robert Frost.  I didn't know all those things about him.  So on line I go to purchase a first edition for my graduate, BONUS! I found one at 84 Charring Cross.  I needed to purchase this, it wasn't the upscale first edition I had hoped for, but it was...O.K.  He was pleased.  When he's off writing in silence, I'm always saying, " aspire to Pulitzer Prize kido" a joke around here.  So when Ms. Jenny pointed out Mr. Frost, the Pulitzer Prize winner, I had to get it.  THANK YOU Ms. Jenny ( I know, I know I should be calling you Mrs. since we share our wedding anniversary dates).  AND the bonus of it coming from 84 Charring Cross.  I always wanted to go shopping there, it's on the bucket list, but I dare say this is as close as I'll get.  Love that book, it was just good.
So why is this Mailbox Monday, well simply because it's one of the best deliveries I've received of late.

What's up for reading this week,
Agatha Christie, audio with David Suchet (while I clean my studio)
Trust Your Eyes, Linwood Barclay

8 comments:

Nise' said...

Congrats to your graduate! What a wonderful gift.

Jenners said...

It is one of my goals as a parent to raise a reader. … and you raised two! Well done and congrats to the grad!

Jenny said...

Oh dear Irene! 84 Charing Cross Road! One of my favorite movies with the late Anne Bancroft (you should see her grave monument, a weeping angel, hands covering its face ... it's at Kensico Cemetery in Valhalla, New York, a cemetery I long to visit), Anthony Hopkins, and Judi Dench. To have a volume of Frost from that bookshop, what a TREASURE! And congratulations to both of your marvelous and talented sons (they came by that honestly), and yes I do believe you have a Pulitzer Prize winner on your hands. Robert Frost is one of the most incredible poets ever to write a line; next to Emily Dickinson he may be my most-revered. I adore American poets but of course there are some great English ones as well. Where would we be without Keats and Shelley? And W.B. Yeats, another of my faves, an Irishman. Speaking of Yeats, he wrote this, and it is quoted in the movie 84 Charing Cross Road:

HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Happy week, dear Irene. xoxoxo

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations to your graduate!!

Vicki said...

All my kids read when they were young, but sadly none do now.

Congrats to your graduate! That was an awesome gift!

Donna said...

What a wonderful idea! And that Miz Jenny is a peach, so I'm not surprised that she gave you some inspiration.

And I think it is quite marvelous for both of your sons to be published authors. Way to go to them AND you!

Annie said...

I don't think I really realized that that shop still existed..very jealous of your purchase. Loved the book 84 Charing Cross Road, just delightful! I often used to think of it when I was in NYC!!

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, come on!! Congrats to you and your son!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.