Sunday, January 8, 2012

You Are My Only...



I enjoyed this book immensely, I actually had to stop reading it on the bus one day because I thought everyone is going to think I'm losing it, and I was, I hadn't brought enough tissues to keep up with the water coming from my eyes.  I didn't pick it up for a couple of hours after that, just needed to digest it .  I can't imagine living like poor Emmy.  And how horrible mental health care was, is it still?  Does anyone know?  This was a short read, apart from the break I had to take.
I loved both Emmy and Sophie and I really liked Autumn, and although in the end Sophie's mom was not so nice, I did feel for her.  She was doing the best she knew how.  Again I don't know if this book was intended as a look at mental health, but it sure rang that way for me.  There must be someone out there in this field that has a heart.   I'm starting to feel like Chloe from The Sugar Queen, I'm reading books that are hitting too close to home. I've read Beth's books before and enjoyed them as well so I'm sure I'll continue, she just writes what I like to read. This is the last of my library books and now to hit the shelves.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like this book packs a powerful punch. I'm not surprised - Kephart's writing is amazing!

Jenners said...

It sounds pretty amazing … but I would make sure to read it in my own home so I can cry without any seeing me.

Beth Kephart said...

Irene, thank you for trusting the book, for reading it through. I based Emmy's chapters on the research I did about a certain mental care facility in northeast Philadelphia. It was closed two decades ago.

Wishing you well, and great thanks!

Jenny said...

This sounds like VERY interesting reading, dear Irene! I love it when books make me cry.

Shonna said...

Wow. I'm intrigued. Have to look for it.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.