Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wonderous word Wednesday.

I've not looked up words whilst reading for some time, but this book I'm seemingly doing it all the time. Here they are...

tasseomancy:  Tasseography (also known as tasseomancy or tassology) is a divination or fortune-telling method that interprets patterns in tea leaves, coffee grounds, or wine sediments.

I was no student of tasseomancy.  I could not remember what the coil of a serpent meant.  (pg. 45 Silent in the Grave).

vi·tu·per·a·tive/vəˈt(y)o͞opəˌrātiv/

Adjective: Bitter and abusive. 
" Be cheered.  I am certain he has been harassed by more vituperative women than you. .." (pg. 76 Silent in the Grave)

Factotum: A factotum is a general servant or a person having many diverse activities or responsibilities.

"This is Theophilus Monk, my lady.  My factotum, for lack of a better word..." (pg. 105 Silent in the Grave).


4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wonderful Wonder Word! I love it! The root tasse ... like in demitasse ... and teas are sometimes called tisanes ... thank you for that word, dear Irene!

Anonymous said...

good thing this book is not for my book club - I would not have the time to look all of the words up

misia
xx

Joy Weese Moll said...

Great words! All new to me.

bermudaonion said...

I've heard of reading tea leaves, but I never knew it had another name. I'll try to remember that one. Thanks for participating!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.