Saturday, August 14, 2010

Show me 5 Saturday...

1. The Book I read: was The Map of True Places, Brunonia Barry


2words to describe it: A Guide to Survival.

3. Settings Where the book took place and characters I met:

The main character is Zee a childhood survivor of parental suicide.

Zee's Dad Finch who is struggling with Parkinson, and the onset of Alzheimers disease.

Melville: Finch's partner, who is caring and quite the mystery character in this one.

Michael: Zee's fiancée.

Hawk: a new love for Zee.

Adam the mystery man.

The story takes place in Salem, post Katrina times. Although much of the history of Salem is a focal point as well as years before when Zee was a child.

4. Things I liked or disliked about the book.

I don't have any dislikes to present.

I liked the character of Zee. I liked the storyline, even though it's characters were fictitious the issues discussed and dealt with by the characters were well presented and believable. I liked the wow factor or the punch line and it didn't come until the your 7/8 of the way through the book, and it was a wow! (I had to read this on the bus inspite of travel sickness). I like how there were chapters oriented to specific characters. In short a good read.

5 stars or less for my rating of this book.
By now you've guess I liked the book a lot. It was a follow-up to Barry's first novel The Lace Reader, some of the characters from the lace reader mingled in here and it was kinda nice to hear from them. I don't know how big Salem is, but it was not far fetched to meet some of the characters from Lace Reader here. I give this book a 4.9999 I could not put this one down, it both entertained and educated me, I would suggest you find a copy and enjoy it yourself.



Show me 5 Saturday is a concept of That's a Novel Idea, hosted by Find Your Next Book Here.

4 comments:

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Irene :-)
mi piacerebbe leggerlo, spero di trovarlo quì in Italia.
Nel frattempo ti consiglio :
" Firmin. Adventures of a metropolitan lowlife " by Sam Savage.
A me è piaciuto tantissimo.
Buona lettura e a presto amica mia.

Jenny said...

Sounds like an interesting read if you'd risk motion sickness for it, Irene! I used to love to read while riding the bus to work.

Jenners said...

Wow ... you read it even though you got motion sickness from reading? It MUST be good!

steviewren said...

I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a slow start, but heats up in the end.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.