Saturday, July 24, 2010

Show me 5 Saturday

Don't you just love this image. And in this case you can tell a book by it's cover.

Welcome to my post on Show me 5 Saturday this meme is a concept of That's a Novel Idea, but currently hosted by Find Your Next Book Here.


1. The Book I read: The Constant Princess, Phillipa Gregory

2 words to describe the book: Historical Fiction

3. Setting where the book took place & characters I met.
The book took place in the house of Tudor, England, that should be houses of Tudor, they seem to move around a fair bit. I love Katherine, or Catalina as I prefer to call her, she was a Spanish princess betrothed to Aurthur the prince of England upon Aurthur's death she was cast off for reasons I shall not get into, (you need to read about this) and later became the wife of Henry, Aurthur's brother. The character of Aurthur was quite endearing, however I love the build up of Henry. Great character development, but Catalina blew me away. way to go Phillipa.

4 things I liked or disliked about the book:
I liked the interpretation of historical characters, the intimate details of their personalities, and certainly their rationalizations for their behavior appropriate or otherwise.

I liked the scene setting.

I liked the intimacy of the style of writing. It was a glimpse into the diary of a very real person.

I liked the whole book. It was easy to read, not too emotional for me, but still difficult to put down. I found myself taking the next train, just so I could go on reading, because you know when you get home you must make supper.

I disliked the place of women in this time, we have come a long way.

5 stars or less for my rating. Once again I'm leaning to 4.99999 since I'm still reading this series for my 3 4 5 challenge, but I must say so far I like this princess the best.

The Whys and Wheres. I got this book at our book swap at my painting group. I'm so glad there is someone with more $ than me and like the books I like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great read and it's going on my list. Nice review!

Cat said...

I much prefer Philippa Gregory's earlier books and this is one I really enjoyed too. Glad you liked it.

Have a great weekend,

Jenners said...

So many people love this author. And I love that you waited for a later train to keep on reading ... that pretty much says everything I would need to know! : )

Shanyn said...

Great job working on your 3 4 5 Challenge! :)

Jenny said...

Keep taking the trains and keep on reading, Irene. Time enough to make supper!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.