Sunday, March 28, 2010

What's in a name?


Earlier this year I signed up for a "what's in a name challenge"
So here's how it works: Between January 1 and December 31, 2010, read one book in each of the following categories:

1. A book with a food in the title: Fax me a bagel Done
2. A book with a body of water in the title:
3. A book with a title (queen, president) in the title:
4. A book with a plant in the title:
5. A book with a place name (city, country) in the title:
6. A book with a music term in the title: Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Done

The book titles are just suggestions, you can read whatever book you want to fit the category.


My Choice for this 1st challenge A book with food in the title.


My Thoughts:
What I liked most about the book was quite simply the easy reading style. I loved that Ruby and Nan communicated so easily. Ruby the main character is very easy to like. If I were to cast her in a for TV version of this book I think I might like to say Mellisa Sue Anderson, or Mellisa Gilbert, that's how sweet she is, yet not wimpy. Ruby's life has been in turmoil, she's an empty nester, and a widow, and now she's thrust into the middle of a murder. I think she's afraid, still greaving and quite probably lonely. I think Nan is the strength that aids Ruby, and then I think she finds strength in the detective Lundy. Essie Sue and the new Rabbi "Kevin" affect Ruby and everyone in the book, they make her wild. I love it how she manages to hold her own against them. I love the brothers that challenge Essie Sue in her plans at every turn. I liked this book, I'm not sure it is a must read, but it was an interesting setting.

No comments:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.