Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Getting sorted

When my husband retired he brought home 30 odd years of stuff. I set him up in the garage with folders and filing cabinets and lockers. And what did he do? He just threw a bunch of stuff into the drawers and locker, boxes and all. Well when we needed to get to something or when we needed to find space for car parts, I sat in the garage, with my boys and sorted and made my husband discard things. Well we were down to just a few drawers in a filing cabinet and the rest was SORTED. Imagine putting your whole career into a few drawers. Well that's what I'm doing to my mom's career, and mine too. We worked together for a few years. I can remember most times when she would talk about her fabric as if it were an extension of her family. I think my sister and I did the right thing with the things that were left. Some young lady will be learning to sew with the tools provided from this retiree. I wish I could be in the classroom with her. I could tell her some of those scary stories my mother use to tell us to keep us awake, when working to a deadline. So my advice to all of you, don't pack up too much, leave something for your kids to pack, just to remind them what you use to do. My kids didn't know their father played volleyball and water polo and was at the Olympics with the water polo team in 1972 when terrorism happened in Germany, he was in the army at the time, but I'm sure he would have preferred to be playing in the water with the team if only... They only know about him now, in his large form, displacing water in the pool. I can tell you we are discovering a secret life my mother had too. I have plans for my kids already, I'm sure they will be shocked. So get sorted but not too much.

No comments:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.