Thursday, June 5, 2008

Road Trip !


When I first moved to the GTA I was very alone. My family was in Hamilton and although that doesn't seem like far, on a bus it's a day trip. My good friend, Karen, at the Robert Simpson Company (where I worked) did the scheduling and as we like to work together Thursdays became our night shift. But what to do in the a.m. When I think about it, she really did schedule everything. So we took a pottery class. We lunched after and went to work. Good Times. When she got married she started to schedule herself at different times and pottery was a no go. But I was hooked, on Thurs a.m. anyway. So for the last 29 years Thurs. have been a play day. After pottery I took Ikebana. I'm almost certified. I am certifiable. I would have had to go to Japan for 6 months to get my certification, but instead I had Daniel. A birth certificate is a much nicer piece of paper than a diploma from the O'Hara School of Ikebana. He could have been born in Japan though. After Daniel was born Thurs. were his. And then Sasha was born. I really missed those play days. So when Sasha started in grade one. I went to play. I felt privileged to be invited to paint with a group of ladies with whom I have become great friends. While we don't paint on Thurs. anymore some of us paint on Wed. and scrap on Thurs. or stamp on Mon. or Sun. But, it was the usual thing for us to do, at the end of the school year, to go on a road trip, and out to an extravagant lunch. We've been to the Butterfly Museum, we've been to remote tea rooms in small towns, and hit a florist shop that we probably kept in business that season. But mostly we had some good laughs and good food. I highly recommend the Oban Inn in Niagara on the Lake. We don't really see each other in anyother way except on play days, an e mail here or there but what a great feeling it is when we look back to discussions of kids, teens, aging parents, health issues and of course painting. We've grown up in our painting. We are presently working on an alter art project. Looking Good. So today is Thursday and I would like to toast the Painting Ladies past and present. Salute. I think it might be time for a road trip. Photo painting ladies at the Butterfly Museum

No comments:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.