Monday, October 24, 2016

It's Monday what are you reading? The No1 Ladies Detective Agency

I have some how acquired the first few books of this series, so this is what I'm reading.

From Amazon

Penzler Pick, July 2001: Working in a mystery tradition that will cause genre aficionados to think of such classic sleuths as Melville Davisson Post's Uncle Abner or Robert van Gulik's Judge Dee, Alexander McCall Smith creates an African detective, Precious Ramotswe, who's their full-fledged heir.
It's the detective as folk hero, solving crimes through an innate, self-possessed wisdom that, combined with an understanding of human nature, invariably penetrates into the heart of a puzzle. If Miss Marple were fat and jolly and lived in Botswana--and decided to go against any conventional notion of what an unmarried woman should do, spending the money she got from selling her late father's cattle to set up a Ladies' Detective Agency--then you have an idea of how Precious sets herself up as her country's first female detective. Once the clients start showing up on her doorstep, Precious enjoys a pleasingly successful series of cases.
But the edge of the Kalahari is not St. Mary Mead, and the sign Precious orders, painted in brilliant colors, is anything but discreet. Pointing in the direction of the small building she had purchased to house her new business, it reads "THE NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY. FOR ALL CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS AND ENQUIRIES. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED FOR ALL PARTIES. UNDER PERSONAL MANAGEMENT."
The solutions she comes up with, whether in the case of the clinic doctor with two quite different personalities (depending on the day of the week), or the man who had joined a Christian sect and seemingly vanished, or the kidnapped boy whose bones may or may not be those in a witch doctor's magic kit, are all sensible, logical, and satisfying. Smith's gently ironic tone is full of good humor towards his lively, intelligent heroine and towards her fellow Africans, who live their lives with dignity and with cautious acceptance of the confusions to which the world submits them. Precious Ramotswe is a remarkable creation.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

His books are such comforting reads. I haven't read one in a while but I always enjoy them.

Elizabeth said...

Looks like a good series.

I have never read one of his books, but ENJOY!!

Have a wonderful week of reading.

Thanks for coming by my blog earlier.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

Vicki said...

I've had this series on my tbr list for years. I really should get started on it.

Annie said...

Ah, I enjoyed them all...
can't believe you are only catching up with them now Irene..
I was reading them all those years ago when I used to visit NYC to see the family when they were there.
;-)
I also enjoy reading all his other books,
very randomly
but they are still enjoyable.

Nise' said...

Enjoy! I loved this series. Loved your painting in Saturday Snapshot.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

You make it sound very enjoyable. We'll all be looking for a book like that when deep Winter comes knocking on our door. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.