Sunday, December 28, 2014

Best of Reading 2014

I cannot believe it's the end of the year, where did those months go.  I don't think I read many books this year, even though I did read.  Many were long... sometimes too long... you'd like to think an editor would intervene and say, finish already... So here is my wrap up,

Best of Reading in 2014

1.       Best Book You Read In 2014?
I've read so many good books this year, it's hard to choose, I think it would have to be Perfect, Rachel Joyce.
 
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? . Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
I was trying to read more Canadian books, and so chose, The Bear, it was a little frustrating, while in fact based on a true event, suffice it to say, I will not be canoeing or camping anytime soon.
 

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
none
      

4.       4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

This would have to be Alzhiemer's 911, having been through this experience with my mom, I think this is a valuable support resource for families dealing with a family member in this state.
 
5.       5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

I don't know that I started a series, but I did continue one, Flavia Deluca's adventures, this year I read The Weed that strings the Hangman's Bag, Alan Bradley.  
6.       6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

This would have to be the author of In the Orchard, the Swallows,  Peter Hobb, a very good short story.
7.       7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 

I read a graphic novel!  Mauz, Art Speigleman.   

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

For Your Tomorrow, the story of an unlikely soldier, what a good book. 
9.       Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I don't do re-reads often, too many on the TBR pile.
10.   Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
The Painted Girls, would have to be my most favorite cover. I've always love Degas, and this was so lovely.
 
11.   Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
not sure about this one... 
12.   Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, loved this book... really made me think about parenting.
13.   Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
14.   Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
15.   Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
 In the Orchard, The Swallows was the shortest book I read, and The Paying guests was the longest. 
16.   Book That Shocked You The Most
The Paying Guests, was a shocking book for me, both the crime and the relationship.
 
17.   OTP of the Year
(OTP = one true pairing —

I think for this one,  Simon and Bess, in the Charles Todd mysteries is one true pairing I'm anticipating.

18.   Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
This is Simon and Bess again, it's still just non romantic, even though it's intimate.
 
19.   Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I love Flavia De Luca, so Allan Bradley is a fav.
20.   Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
 The wives of Los Almos, it was o.k....
21.   Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
none
22.   Best 2014 debut you read?
 not sure
23.   Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
In the Orchard, the Swallows, both beautiful and ugly, but descriptive.
 
24.   Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
25.   Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Tell the Wolves I'm Home. loved it! 
26.   Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Several on that one,  Forgotten Seamstress,  Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Perfect, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.
 
27.   Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
not sure on this one too. 
28.   Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Change of Climate, was a interesting if not madening book,  I was mad at parents, and husbands and the world... The forgotten Seamstress, made me mad as well, but more sad than mad.
 
29.   Books that I Abandoned?
 I abandoned The Massey Murders, just too boring.

I didn't read a great number of books, but I must say, I enjoyed most of them, and the TBR pile has shrunk a little. 

6 comments:

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Of all the "bests" lists I've read so far this week, yours cracked me up. You have no unique, but quickly knew which ones you'd ditch. I'm not sure you're enjoying your reading, so maybe you should pick ones you really want to read? Good luck with next year's reading. Hope it goes better.

bermudaonion said...

Yeah, The Bear was rather strange for me too.

Nise' said...

Perfect was such a good book. I had a hard time deciding which books would make my favorite list.

Jenny said...

Girl you read so much, I am definitely jealous. I have carved out some time just for reading over this holiday and I've enjoyed it so much. I purpose to read more in 2015, dear Irene. Happy New Year, my friend. xoxo

Vicki said...

I finally learned to abandon books that I just couldn't get into. That was a hard one for me!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oooh, so glad to see Maus and Tell the Wolves I'm Home on your list. And I should really revisit Flavia de Luce. It's been far too long since we hung out together. ;) Happy New Year Irene!!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.