Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Salon... Among Others

Well I finished Among Others, Jo Walton.  Well, I'm not sure what the criteria for a book award is but clearly I was not on the judging team.  I liked it, don't get me wrong, but award winning? not sure about that.  It could have been a bit more, heck a lot more.  I was expecting the end, but the middle seemed to be a list of books I have not read, I started to write them all down, gave up after eight.  Since I hadn't read any of the books being discussed I found it difficult to compare them, I loved that father and daughter had these discussions.  How special.  I would have like to know a little more of the background of the characters, was she a twin or not?  What was the car accident? I was half expecting Mor to be unstable and that we would discover she had an illusion of having a twin.  The witch mother thing wasn't developed enough either, and beyond that it was a teenage romance. 

In short Among Others (no idea where that title came from) is the story of a teenage girl who has come to live with her estranged father, after having had some kind of accident, which apparently killed her twin, and left her disabled.  Apparently she escaped her mother...? She remains in contact with her mothers family and maternal grandfather.  Magic is practiced here as is the strong discussion of Science Fiction books. Lists and lists of them.  She is enrolled in a private school where we see her develop some superficial relationships, and where she falls in love with a much older boy.  I found it somewhat disturbing that after only two weeks into the boy/girl relationship Mor was ready for a sexual relationship, she was planning contraception, but I'm thinking she's fifteen! I know, I know statistic show I'm naive.   Mor (the young teenage girl) has escaped from her witch mother... this is a cloud hanging over the story, that is never really made clear, to me at least.  I love the connection that grows with her dad and her dad's father, somewhat surprised at her relationship with her dads sisters, but... Did I like the book, sort of, but not as much as I would have thought.

What else did I do this week? The usual, laundry and cooking.  Almost no painting, very little furniture restoration, and I know I have fabric for my princess chair, but can't find it.   It's been a cold week, and I'm struggling to fight this cold thing off... Just resting and watching the Oscars tonight, as soon as I stop yelling at the T.V. for Downton Abbey ending, Can you believe it! What are they thinking. This isn't a soap opera.... What's up next?  The Bleak mid- Winter, Julia Spencer. I thought this was a suitable choice for this very snowy/cold winter week ahead.  What was that ground hog seeing?  Have a good week.

3 comments:

Nise' said...

I yelled at the TV too during the season finale of Downton Abbey too! I love that character! ;o).

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Now I'm not so sure I want to read Among Others ... I don't usually read teenage romances!

Hope your next book is better.

Jenny Girl said...

Downton Abbey...that character you're yelling at didn't want to renew their contract, so they had to do what they did.
I'm sad too, but understand.

I also did laundry and watched tv and stuff. hope you feel better and have have a wonderful week Irene.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.