Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday Wanderings...

When we were growing up my mother would often have these unusual sayings, often times we (my siblings and I) are found repeating those phrases and chuckling after them, some are R rated.  I think my mom could have been a sailor, if she were not so religious.  So yesterday, I'm at the shop working on my chair (upholstery) and my friend Krystyna came in,  Krystyna is the right hand of our teacher, she is also not well.  Of course Krystyna is Polish as I am, and I get to practice my Polish on Krystyna.  Krystyna was raised and educated in Poland, I on the other hand am a Canadian a Polish descendant. So my Polish vocabulary is limited to what my mom and dad taught us.  You can imagine that a language does grow and develop.  Where am I going with this, well when Krystyna came in I immediately popped out a phrase only my mother would have thought of.  "Where have you been wandering to get so sick?"

Shirley's scarves.
So this morning I'm at painting with the ever hilarious Shirley Feeney, no not Shirley Feeney of Laverne and Shirley fame, the original Shirley Feeney.  Shirley keeps us in jokes and we are often shaking down the studio with laughter.  Well Shirley is an enthusiastic painter with little time and a generous heart, even when Shirley reads directions she can put such a twist on her words that we just howl. Shirley is the type of lady that invites you to a fabulous dinner and then makes a scarf for all the ladies attending. Like 6 or 7 ladies.
 Reminded me of my mothers friend Kate Dubrowny.  Kate would get physical trying to emphasize her conversations, there was no way you could ignore Kate.  I just thought of how Wednesday wanderings really are a pleasure to endure, and one should wander often.  I got a good chunk of my painting started, in spite of the laughter, it's the stuff sit- coms are made of.  I've been watching "Once Upon a Time, and all the fairy tales seem to be tossed in together, much like the people we encounter in our lives.  I'm off to wander again tomorrow with yet another hilarious encounter in store.  Maybe I'll be as productive, my piece is almost done.  I won't talk about the adventure of delivering the finished pieces with Handy Andy or should I say The Calamity Couple. Thank goodness distressed is still fashionable.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

You crack me up!!

Jenny said...

Dear Irene, you are the best kind of funny: the kind that doesn't even know how funny it is. I love reading about your adventures. I'm sure your friends light up when you walk into the studio. They know the party can start.

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, this is a GREAT anecdote. The way our friends decorate our lives is something we should always keep close in our mind and the stories we tell. Thanks for the giggle.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.