Friday, March 16, 2012

The Yellow House a read a long... Part Two


Welcome to our second read-along discussion of The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey. If you’re following our schedule, you should have read the first four sections of the book, and be finished with the section titled “Insurrection, 1919-1920.”
Spoiler alert: We will be discussing the book in detail, so if you haven’t read this far and don’t want to read any spoilers, you should skip this post.

Were you surprised by the turn the romantic storyline took?
  OCH! is all I want to say, (I'm slowly becoming Irish)I can't tell you what a dork I must be, I never saw that coming.  I too thought Owen and Eileen would be a romance like Romeo and Juliet, where on earth did |James come from, I mean really, he was suppose to be in the seminary and then off to war and back to the seminary.  And didn't he turn out to be a gem of a son and brother.  She must have seen some warning signs, she's a bright girl, but then again, when one thinks with their underwear! 
What do you think of James? Is his treatment of his family – all in the name of the cause – justified?
  I admire people who can commit to an important cause, BUT not at the expense of your family. I firmly believe one should make a choice.  While the cause might be very important, we owe our family's the protection and loyalty of a parent/husband/wife.  I think James is a horrible, self important individual who should have remained single, and left Eileen, who already had a sad existence, alone. But then there might not be a story to tell.

W hat do you think of Eileen’s reaction to James’ final betrayal – the emptying of her savings account?
I wanted to jump through the pages and beat the CR_P out of him.  And imagine the likes of that woman handing over her money to James and then gossiping about it.  I guess confidentiality was not a issue in those days, but really.  How horrible do people need to be to each other?  The nerve!  I too am worried about Eileen's sanity.  I hoping that a she finds the strength to carry on, in spite of that creep she married.  And I remind myself that she is Catholic and no divorce is in the horizon,  there are some thing that only a funeral can solve. (Aren't I awful).

How do you think the author is handling the intricacies of the political situation?
I too think that Falvey is doing an excellent job in informing the reader of the current political unrest in Ireland. She's created an incredible balance in the situation, so we are not cheering for one or the other side.  And I also agree that both sides could have sat down and talked a little more effectively to prevent such senseless violence. 

I'm having a horribly difficult time dragging out this book, I WANT to finish it.  (Pst. almost have). 
 I'm still enraged with James, and where on earth is that saintly mother of his that's probably just kneeling and praying for her beloved golden boy not to get hurt.  Get in there and smack him up side the head and tell him to get back to his family.  But, then again any woman who would make a step-son sleep in a shed so her golden boy is comfortable is not a Christian in my eyes.  And imagine the witch changing the baby's name to suit herself.  Well all I have to say she better not give Eileen power of attorney over her health, I sure would be pulling the plug on her.  And what's all this with P.J. Mullens and Terrance and the mad mother.  I see a secret in the works.


I'm thoroughly enjoying this book, it's making me wild, and now if my son choose to do his masters in Ireland, I think I might be moving. If you haven't joined us, there is still time.  Thanks to Carrie for hosting.  I'll be enjoying a green beer whilst finishing this one up today..
For next week, we will read through page 238 in the hardcover edition, which includes these sections: “Truce, 1920-1921? and “Passion, 1921.”

5 comments:

Donna said...

Haha, it's a great read, isn't it?! I've been to Ireland twice, so I could just picture some of the scenes in my head, and I could hear the lyrical dialect too! My next door neighbor is Irish and has another home in Dublin. It's such fun to hear her talk. Put Ireland on your bucket list to visit! Ah, it's so beautiful it made my heart ache. Would love to go back one more time...

Happy reading!

Carrie K. said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying this as much as I am! I really love her writing -and am anxious to see how it ends! Though no one has commented on my suggestion to finish it up this week, so looks like I'll have to exercise patience. :)

Carrie K. said...

Irene - I know you've probably already finished! I just wanted to let you know that for the rest of the read-along-ers, I'm going to stick to the original schedule, simply because that's what they were expecting. If you can join in on next week's discussion without spoiling part four, feel free - and be sure to join us for the final one! I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the book so much. :)

Anna said...

I'm glad to see you're loving this book as much as I am. James drives me crazy and makes me wish I could reach into the book and smack some sense into him! I really want to finish it right now, but I'm enjoying the slower pace because I have too much going on right now. Can't wait to read your thoughts on the rest of the book!

Serena said...

It seems that we all are enjoying this book immensely! I agree that there must be a deep secret with the mother of Eileen and PJ!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.