Sunday, July 31, 2011

the formula =

A couple of years ago I signed up for my upholstery class.  You see I've been a collector of old things.  Probably 36 years ago, my neighbour Alan gave me this organ top.  He lived in this wonderful old house next door to our home (our childhood home).  He was very eccentric.  What prompted this gift you ask? Well I had purchased an antique mirror, and he was surprised I liked old things, so he asked me if I'd like this.  It was in my living room until a while back, when we painted.  Then with all the hulabaloo of moving my mom's place, and my additions to the acquisition dept. I forgot about it, well maybe not forgotten, but got safely stored. Well I've sort of re- settled and have decided that Allan's organ top must find a home once again.  But, what about the formula, you ask? When I met Evelyn at our upholstery class this formula was something we did to our pieces to give a drink, so to speak, so the old wood we would be hammering new nails into would not be stressed.  It stinks, but boy does it give your wood a drink.  So I've now applied the formula to my organ top, found a new home for it (handy Andy doesn't know it yet). and now I wait until the wood is no longer thirsty.  Did I mention this is a little smelly, so the blurry photo may be me a little high, or maybe it's just a little blurry.  I've been reading a number of decorator blogs and so many people are painting over these old pieces, I can't seem to do this to some of my pieces, I'm always hearing the TWINS from the Antique Road show, saying "oh how sad that someone painted this, it would have been worth a million dollars in it's original state, but alas painted it's dumpster material.  I like to think I'm doing my part to preserve our ever shrinking forests, and reducing waste, I really do like to think that.

P.S. don't get me wrong, I do paint furniture, and am dying to try the Annie Sloan's Chalk Paints, but just not this piece.

P.P.S.  I've just realized that I've posted about wood two days in a row.  Yes I have a thing for wood. 

3 comments:

Nise' said...

I cringe when I see old, beautiful things painted instead of restored. But to each his own.

Jenny said...

I'm old enough to appreciate old things, dear Irene. Now, back away from the stuff the wood's supposed to be drinking!

bermudaonion said...

You'll have to show us how it looks in its new home. In my opinion, only cheap furniture should be painted.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.