Saturday, May 14, 2011

Snapshot Saturday


Snapshot Saturday is hosted by Alyce from At Home With Books.

I know all you gardeners out there feel my pain.  We've had such a lot of rain lately that I haven't been out to the jungle yet. Well truth be told I don't usually get out there until after the May long weekend.  I always found this time of year so busy that I put in a whole lot of perennials and now must wait until they've finished blooming to get out there and get cleaning.  I don't really do a lot of annuals, no room, but I love bulbs.  So in the fall I put in as many as I can find a spot for. The rabbits love me.  Unfortunately this year with it being so cold so late the lawn bulbs came out a different times so I haven't had the "desired bang" my lawn is longish but the grapevine crocus' are not done so there will be no mowing this weekend.  And if you remember my sister's stopover in Holland in September she brought us all tulips.  Well if you've ever planted tulips you know 30 are just not enough, so I added to them, I'm not overly fond of yellow tulips but then this morning I may have changed my mind. The photo on the left are my yellow tulips and on the right some companion daffodils  (my attempt to keep the squirrels off my bulbs.) Maybe yellow is not so bad.

16 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Lovely photos; I love daffodils.

By Book or By Crook said...

I took last week off to get into my flower beds and get them cleaned out and I ended up on crutches before I could get to them. I'm sure they are starting to come up under all last falls leaves, but I haven't found them yet!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Beautiful flowers. I love tulips and daffodils. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love flowers! I've never had a flower garden...just vegetables once upon a time.

My mother always had lovely gardens, though.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Alyce said...

Your flowers are beautiful! You're right though - I think there's no such thing as too many tulips. :)

Col (Col Reads) said...

Bulbs are some of my favorite flowers. Even in a dreary spring like we've had here, they improve my attitude immediately. These are great shots!

Anonymous said...

Some days yellow is just fine, and those tulips and daffodils look beautiful.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

The tulips are beautiful. I've been switching to more perennials and less annuals the past few years. I didn't know squirrels bothered tulips... no one told mine. I do have a bunny problem though... they love to eat my hosta.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a flower garden, but I don't have a green thumb!

Mine is here in case you want to check it out.

Jenny Girl said...

They are both pretty pics of your flowers. since anything named plant dies when I touch it, I will enjoy yours :)

Mary (Bookfan) said...

They look really nice and I think no matter how many bulbs I have, there could always be more. I had some beautiful white tulips this year and one afternoon I saw a rabbit hop away - leaving the sheared tulips behind!! Next year I'll try to remember to cut them for a vase inside - at least they'll last longer *sigh*

bermudaonion said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. Bulbs are a lot of trouble in our part of the country. You have to dig them up and put them in the freezer every winter if you want them to bloom again.

Donna said...

One can NEVER have too many tulips or daffies! They are so beautiful!

Annie said...

Ah, tulips. Lovely.
It seems ages since I last visited. I ahve missed so many interesting things going on here.
Love your Agatha Christie challenge you have set yourself, and that you were able to find two of the books you hadn't read.
Sounds like your Mother's Day was duly celebrated ...I agree with you that Mother's Day should be everyday!
You have been busy with all your projects Irene. Good on you! I have been very slack while I have been here in nyc, must get onto to something for the baby before I go home.

Parabolic Muse said...

I love daffodils!!

Tulips are great, but I don't think I've ever had yellow ones! I'm not a gardener, but I have to admire it. It's such a patient activity. We took a long walk and saw a woman out on her sidewalk gardening the edge of her front lawn. I think I'd probably go to the dentist first. So, I really admire that!!

Best of luck with your gardening. These flowers look really pretty, and Memorial Day will be nice for them!

Jenny said...

Awwww your daffys are so pretty! "The rabbits love me" ... it's declarations like that that keep me coming back, dear Irene!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.