Sunday, November 7, 2010

Take another Chance Challenge...

I don't know where the year has gone?  I committed myself to a number of reading challenges, in addition to personal challenges with my artistic endeavours.  For the most part it's been a happy ride.  The problem being, I just love to read reviews other bloggers post and I immediately think "I must read that".  Well that obsession has taken me away from my commitments to some degree, and enjoyable detour I might add.  Today whilst waiting for yet another bus I finished  The Prince of Mist, Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It was a short read, what I think intrigued me most was the first page where the author talks about the rights to his book being "trapped" in legalities.  Of course then I had to read it to see if it was the contents that put it into the trap.  I don't think so.  I enjoyed the characters, the innocents, and the quick relationships kids make at the beach.  Reminded me of the times my sister Barb and I spent at our Godparents home in the summers, very near to the beach, we had those kinds of quick friendships so in that sense the story was one I could relate to, and then the spooky stuff well that was a good RIP mystery if you like that kinda stuff. Jenners rates these kinds of books with a scare-o-meter.  I'd have to say on a scale of 1-10 it was a mere 5, not too spooky but...  So if this is your type of book, a little spooky, a little innocent, and easy to read... go for it.


  


Thanks to Myriam for suggesting this author, I'm still looking for the book she loved by him, perhaps it too is "trapped". This book completes my Take another chance challenge #5.

book photo from book I own.

3 comments:

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Irene :)
spero che tu riesca a trovare il libro di Zafon perchè è veramente bello !!!!
Quello che invece tu hai appena letto, non lo conosco... spero anch'io di trovarlo in italiano.
Buona serata :)
Myriam

Jenners said...

I've heard all kinds of good things about this author ... but it seems like his books differ quite a bit.

Congrats on finishing this part of the challenge. I have to finish up myself ... the deadline is coming up! ACK!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading The Shadow of the Wind by this author and loving it. It's my first experience with him too.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.