Saturday, October 30, 2010

Show me 5 Saturday

I haven't participated in this meme for a few weeks. Just haven't finished any books worth blogging about. And then I read Vicki's review and had to pick this one up.So here I am at Show me 5 Saturday a meme concept by That's a Novel Idea, but presently hosted by Jenners from Life...with books.



1. The Book I read... Come Sunday, Isla Morley

2. Two words to describe it... hearth wrenching

3. Characters I met.

Abbie... the main character is the mother of a little girl, Cleo, an active little girl. She is the wife of a preacher. The sister of a writer, and a writer herself.
Greg is Abbe's husband, and Cleo's dad.

Jenny is Abbe's friend. As is Theresa and Jakes. Blossom is also a character in the book, I'm not sure what her function is but she's delightful.

Rhiann is Abbe's brother.

The story takes place mostly in present time in Hawaii, there are "flashbacks" to Africa, where Abbe grew up. Isla Morley brilliantly weaves this story gripping tale of Abbe's tempestuous childhood in apartheid South Africa---and how Abbe’s father, a villainous drunk, held her family hostage for decades with his rage, until they finally began to plot their escape from him. Come Sunday is a spellbinding drama about a woman breaking free of her grief and of her past, and what it takes to revive hope when all seems lost.

I loved the references to South Africa quite a lot.
I loved Jenny and Beauty and how different these two black women were in different parts of the world.
I like Greg, he did try to reach Abbe, she was not available. I think I would have liked to have gotten to know him a little better.
I almost didn't like Abbe, but then I thought how likeable would I be if I were in her shoes. I didn't like her reaction to Theresa but then again I have never had the misfortune to face what she was facing.
I didn't really like the ending, it was too predictable, even though it was a good ending, I like how we got to the ending, but I have to believe that it really was a fictitious decision. I'm not sure someone in the state Abbe was in could be so philanthropic or maybe I'm just not seeing this. It seems like a very permanent decision. All in all a very good read, once I started I couldn't put it down.

5 Stars or less , I give this one 4 stars, it was an interesting story, no sex, not too much violence, just ordinary lives thrown into turmoil.

Whys and Wheres... I got this book from the library after reading Vicki's review, I thought I'd like to read it.

1 comment:

Jenners said...

Sounds like it had a lot going on ... and lots of good atmosphere.

And I didn't do a Show Me 5 Saturday this week ... and I don't know if I'll be keeping it up. I kind of got caught up on my book reviews so I might not do it all the time.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.