Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Well I was so busy celebrating Ruby Tuesday I forgot about the real celebration. My sister and her husband are celebrating 36years of wedded bliss. I was the maid of honor at that wedding. It was very windy, our hats kept blowing off. We had a great time. Alice said she didn't eat any dinner because she was so nervous, all she ate was cucumbers and sour cream. I don't remember being nervous, I don't remember dancing, and I don't think I even had one drink. They went to Niagara Falls for their honeymoon. Niagara Falls is about 45 minute drive from our home. But they've been celebrating since...


In those days the couples that we knew of didn't pick their first song, it just was the Anniversary Waltz.
I remember how extravagant our mother thought we were when I bought those milky white bud vases for $.99, yes 99 cents for all tables. Now I'm sure some of the table arrangements are 100s of dollars. good times though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irenka, thank you for the good wishes. Yes, it has been 36 years and it seems like yesterday. Weddings have changed since we got married. It takes over a year now to plan, organize, have stags and stagettes, pick out table cloth covers, etc. In our day a small vase with three roses or carnations were put on the table that was covered with paper, the bottles of liquor were put on the table and everyone helped themselves. The day before the wedding the mother of the bride (and perhaps the groom) spent the entire day in the kitchen with her friends preparing the delicious meal. On the wedding day the cook and her ladies took over. I can remember my father going to the market on Friday morning and purchasing all the vegetables, the meat (3 kinds) was purchased from a meat wholesaler. The booze was purchased from a liquor salesman and he estimated one-half bottle for each person (so you know how much booze we had!). If you ran out of a specific brand, the salesman probably had some in his car. In our case, the salesman was a personal friend. We had so much fun with this. Now a caterer is hired! and thousands and thousands of dollars are spent - I know, I have planned two weddings within the the last 5.5 years.

So thank you for the memories! Hopefully we can play the Anniversary Waltz on our 40th! (still my favourite wedding song).

Marie Reed said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the anniversary waltz! I loved how they swayed as they played! You could just tell that they were really feeling the music. What a nice wedding story:) 36 years!

Jeanne said...

Wow what a flashback hearing that song again. You found a beautiful version of it as well!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.