Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A good shoe is hard to find...


A while back someone very bright asked what do women really want? Well the answer undoubtly was SHOES. Well as I get older and continue to walk around the world I'm feeling my feet. A good shoe is just so hard to find. Each week when I'm in downtown Hamilton, I sort of fly through, it's become so unfriendly. Days gone by we would walk on "payday" from James Street to Wentworth and not be able to decide on what pair of shoes we would like that week. The Villager was one of the "in" places to shop. I decided to stay home this morning to do a bit of clear out, part of my mess is the overwhelming amount of stuff I brought from my mother's home. I just couldn't sort through stuff in a hurry, so I packed it all up and brought it home. Today's adventure was all that embroidery ribbon we brought back from Poland some 35 years ago. Yes 35 years ago. My aunt was trying desperately to give us a gift we could not get here in Canada, I guess the thought was, what do you buy someone who has everything, and yes, that's what we were, two ladies who have everything. I'm not sure about all that, but we certainly were thrilled with all that ribbon. We did use a great deal of it in our suits designs, but then we got so busy, I just didn't have the opportunity to embroider. Well now that I'm looking for something to do when I visit with my mom, I thought this would be the ticket. What does this have to do with shoes you ask? Well all this ribbon was in these "Villager" shoe bags. It was quite the thing to keep these plastic bags. So if you for one minute think that all this hupla about bags being in landfills for long periods of time, is not true, forget it" it's true." This bag is as bright and strong as 35years ago when we put those ribbons in it. So while I desperately miss going into a shoe store and having a virtual smorgasbord of shoes to choose from, it reinforces the fact that we are polluting our planet. So take one of those recycling bags with you the next time you shop. Yesterday I did that and the salesclerks were snickering when I handed them back their plastic bag. Imagine a old broad like me being environmentally friendly, I didn't tell them I was walking another 3km. to my destination they just would not appreciate it.

Now about all that ribbon, I guess I'll have to sit and watch a soap opera or two and sort. One of my favourite pass times. It's pretty bad when you hustle all morning to find something to do while you sit. I never give myself permission to just sit and watch, I'm usually doing something. Usually it's laundry. But today it will be laundry, and sorting ribbon, and watching, only one hour. Really...

No comments:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.