Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Just when you think you know everything...

Just when you think you're old enough to know everything, you learn something new. Today is the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Mount Carmel is somewhere in Israel. My dad loved the Middle East, he often talked about the fabulous oranges, and olive groves there. This was a big deal to a man who had spent two years in the ice and snow regions of Siberia starving. What's the connection you ask. Well yesterday was also the 30th anniversary of my dads death. There are a great many beliefs and legends related to death and the Carmelites. Today we celebrated mass in his honour. I never connected the two until tonight, when my friends said I picked a special day to celebrate the anniversary of his death. I confess I didn't pick it. They say that those who honour Our Lady of Mount Carmel are blessed in death. I don't remember weather he did or not, but I think he must have been to the blessed site, during his stay in Israel. I know, I feel great about this coincidence. I thought I would be crying throughout the mass, but I felt very peaceful. My family will tell you I cry a lot at these things. Death is something none of us escape, and I hope that a peaceful one is something both my parents enjoy, after their very difficult lives. After all, if we are the Catholics we profess to be ,death should be a blessing. I've subscribed to a e newsletter for a number of years, "Saint of the Day" is always an interesting read, and I love the history of all these things. For those of you who do not believe, look at it as a lesson in History. I'm loving learning something new even at my age.

I've been reading one of Leslie's picks, "the many lives and secret sorrows of Josephine B." by Sandra Gulland, and I am just amazed at the historical research this author has done, and the faith connections often mentioned in the book. I like that. So when a connection is a personal one I find it even more fascinating. I know it sounds like you could find a connection in everything if you looked hard enough, and I do look. So do take a moment to reflect on my muse as far out as it may seem.

No comments:

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.